Sunday 23 February 2014

Uff !!!! Ye Seriousness





My cell phone started singing in a loud voice, when I was still asleep, somehow I opened left eye and tried to slap the phone without looking at the screen (who the hell is calling me on a sweet Sunday morning). I buried my face once again in the pillow, but the caller tune was in no mood to stop the chorus, so I picked up the call.

“What’s this, now you are not even picking our calls?  You are in love with somebody, who is he? Don’t tell me that you found him on facebook. Are you crazy, how many times I have told you not to spend too much time on net? “

My sweet Ninni was totally destroyed by this bombardment, but still I was unable to understand what is SHE asking to me?

“What are you talking, what love and what facebook, let me sleep.”

“Ok, so you are still in bed, no problem, call me when you are fully awake. It is Urgent, WE NEED TO TALK.”

After an hour or so, I called her back (HER—my best buddy Rashmita; as her name tells, she is always in a Rush, everything and each matter is a call of Rush Hour for her.)

“Tell me who is he and I guess you are going through a “bad phase” as well.”

“Have you gone nuts or what, I am not in love with anyone, who told you so and what is this “bad phase”??”

“Teena, sweaty, your facebook and Gtalk status updates and video posts are revealing everything. Thank god, Amit told me everything on time, but why the hell are you making it public, why didn’t you call me. I would have …”

Now it was more than my appetite, so I almost shouted, “Are you guys have lost your brains. You are judging my personal life from facebook; it’s just for entertainment, not meant for anything else. I AM NOT IN LOVE.”

“And how Amit reached to this conclusion, there would be many people who update lots of things on fb, so what’s so special about it?”

“Well, he has noticed “Many things” and he was worried for you. He said you are feeling lonely and interacting with unknown people on facebook and …”



“Oh really!!! Thanks a lot for this concern.” I dumped the phone.

It was certainly not the end of the great Indian Worry Drama (more effective than any spicy curry). After 3-4 days, a high-spirited Rashmi was at my home and this time she had a wonderful “Marriage Proposal” for me.

“He is running his Own Shop in that Prime market, he is so charming, so cute, such a handsome. Just meet him once and I bet you will fall in love with him.”  Rashmita Spoke while biting a Dairy Milk, her favorite chocolate and passed it on to me. 

“What kind of shop? And how you found him, do you know him personally, what is his qualification, what about his family?” I throw up all my doubts in one go.

“You are such an idiot. He is running a Watch Repairing Shop and you know his voice is so sweet, he speaks with such a style and his smile….ummm just like Dairy Milk, silky, soft and enchanting.”

“Knock-knock seems you are already in love with him, why don’t you propose him.”

“Ohh gosh, you dumbo, I am making ground for you only, I am not interested in him. I reached to his shop in a very sudden manner, my wrist watch was not working properly and then Raju told me about him, they are friends, you know  ...”

“I see, so its Raju’s ideas, now I am getting everything, carry one.” (I thought)

“What you think of me, am I a stupid like you, no I know how to deal such matters. Just for your sake, I went to his shop couple of times and got friendly with him and then asked him about his background and all ( bahut Achhe se baat ki maine). He is a second year college pass out. And guess what, he too loves Cadbury Chocolate, but he likes 5 Star Fruit n Nuts just like you!!!!! I showed him your pictures that were saved in my phone and told him everything about you.”

These last words rang up loud sirens in my brain, “what do you mean by “Everything”?”

“Umm, your qualifications, present job, family (you are a single child) and Very Pretty. He was impressed. Now do one thing, go to his shop with whatever excuse, take any old watch and say it needs repair and tell him your name and … you know how things works.” (She winked)

“Ohh, I forgot to tell you, he have a freezer/storage box for chocolates and cold drinks in the shop. Just imagine, if you both get married, then whenever, I will be in that market, I can go to his shop and enjoy my dairy milk.” She finished the dairy milk bar however; her face was giving the expressions of “Jo Khaaye Wo Kho Jaaye” the Tag line of 5 Star.

I gave her a weird look... “Do you remember, few months back you were saying similar things about Nikhil. That guy who was working in an American Firm, San Francisco things, he was also very Cute and Handsome and Sweet and rest of his traits I forgot. Oh yes!! His Sweet and Simple Mother, his too good and too cool younger brother who gave a Cadbury Celebrations chocolate pack on your birthday and his Papa Ji.”


“Let me remind you,  your Nikhil Raga  went on for months and finally, One Very Fine day, you were informed by that coolest brother and simple mama that Dear Nikhil is just SSC pass and had to come back to India because the “agent was creating some problems”. I stared at her.

“Ok, that time I did not have proper information and let me also remind you that I shared chocolates with you as well as, you ate all 5 Stars.”


“Proper information!!!!!! But you had Proper Information that Mama dear makes very nice coffee.”

“Ok, ok, that’s an old chapter. Moreover, what do you expect, tell me... in your community, boys hardly opt for higher education and thus get indulge with some sort of business. You won’t get a highly educated guy with an impressive job profile here and mom dad will not permit for inter-caste marriage. Therefore, I am trying to find the best for you.”

“If you don’t want to go the shop then I have to do something, I can’t sit ideal. I am sure; he could be a good match for you. (With these words she obtained a thinker’s position)."
I understood, now nothing can stop and after few minutes, I saw her digging my wardrobe, before I could ask, she found what she was looking for. Yes, an Old Watch (The Treasure of Both Worlds).

I made some in vain efforts to stop her, but soon she left my home with that watch. (After all she is RUSHMITA).

Next day

Since I have joined this government job by Meharbani of RPSC, I used to wonder that why people think that we The Government Employees do not work and take salary for no good reason.  Like any other day, I was going through a long list of tasks, digging files in record room and I thought to bring some files into my cabin.

“Meri Files ko jahaan se laaye ho wahin wapis rakhna. Agar meri files gum ho gai ya mujhe vapis apni jagah par nahi mili to main aage se kisi kaam mein hath nahi daalunga.”


 A sharp and harsh voice echoed. That was our Clerk Sahib the Great, Babu SomPrakash. I am sure he firmly believes that it’s His First and Foremost Duty to Take care of Files. He claims that he knows everything about every case and related people.  I don’t want to give him a chance of complaint so I put all the files back into storeroom and that time I wondered, who is the Officer? Me or Him... I guess I don’t want to know the answer.

“Aapke kaam bhi mujhe karne padte hain bade sahib bhi busy rahte hain. Main sabko cooperate karta hun par mujhe koi nahi karta. Koi baat nahi, main akela hi sab sambhaal sakta hun.”

“Aur aap jab bhi field work ke liye jaayein, tab mujhe bataa kar jaayein, kyonki aapse jyada mujhe har file ki latest situation ke baare mein pata hai”. Abhi phone kiya maine do teen chartered accountant ko aur saare kaagaz mangwaaye hain. Aapse to koi maanega nahi, isliye mujhe ye sab karna padta hai.”


Yeah, I know, how much overburdened you are? That’s why plethora of official papers and documents are spread here and there, everywhere; because you don’t have time to organize them. When we need a particular file, it will take months (and weeks if we are lucky) to find it out. And thanks to your extra work that almost every day I am getting complaints from almost every C.A and his clients.

I wanted to say all this in loud voice, but remained calm because I don’t wanted to give a practical demonstration of “Aa Bail Mujhe Maar”. I went to Asmita’s cabin and as she always knows what is “the Problem”, “chill yaar, give him a 5 Star, you know khaayega toh kahin kho jaayega aur tumhaare section ko is unwanted item se chhutti milegi.” She winked at me. 

In evening, Rushmita stormed into our house, with a little sad face.

“I went to that watch shop.”

“Ok, so  ...”

“That idiot, last time he didn’t tell me that he is already Engaged, now when I asked him directly then only he is saying …”

“Oh wait, what you asked him DIRECTLY?”

“I asked whether he would like to take the proposal further, I asked for his parents contact number and residential address. He could have been a perfect match for you, but its really bad luck. But, don’t worry, he told me that he have a cousin brother who is running a Mobile shop and he is also handsome and ….”

“Shut up Rashmi. You need a break from this job”

“How mean you are…” She left with an angry and irritating argument.



After dinner, I switched on my desktop, login to my gmail account and got busy to finish an incomplete story. After a while, my eyes fell on gmail window bar, somebody has sent a chat message.

“Why you never reply on time, I am waiting from last ten minutes. I know it’s your style to make me wait; you enjoy this.”
Meet mister self claimed Big Man Shekhar, a rotten egg imported from JNU campus (Though, I seriously believe that he is a big black spot on the name of JNU).

“You know, I like to spend for charity, even I have donated a fair amount for the CRY foundation. I have decided to give my car to my sister, I will buy another one. God has given me everything.” (It’s the 100th time you are telling me this fact)

“Could you please choose the color of car for me? I am thinking for the new curtains for my house, what color shall I prefer; I am having Own house in this Nice Locality of NCR.”

“I have so many good friends, all IAS, IPS; they are posted in various states. Do let me know if you ever need any help. I CAN DO ANYTHING, I know some politicians as well as. If I decide something, nothing can stop. You know, I believe in helping others.” Why are you publicizing this, have I asked you anything about your contact list.

“Enough of your speech. Now leave, don’t bug me.” And I clicked the “Block this person” option.  

 Mood was completely spoiled and the story remained incomplete. I took a chilled 5 Star crunchy bar from the fridge and slip into my bed, soon I was snoring, but before going to sleep I didn’t forget to switch off my phone and make a weird facebook status update (just to give some more ideas and clues for Rashmita and her spies).




This post is written for the Indiblogger.com #CONDITIONSERIOUSHAI contest.   

 Image Courtesy : Google







3 comments:

Yashwant R. B. Mathur said...

कल 02/03/2014 को आपकी पोस्ट का लिंक होगा http://nayi-purani-halchal.blogspot.in पर
धन्यवाद !

Uma Anandane said...

Well written post and creative too :)

Bhavana Lalwani said...

Thnks Uma .. actually all events n characters mentioned in this post r Real and nt fiction.